Go Back   S10 Racer Forums > Technical Information > LS Engines: LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7, LSX..

LS Engines: LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7, LSX.. Ok you LS Junkies!!

Want a Carbed 5.3
Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Diabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond reputeDiabolical has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Diabolical
Default Want a Carbed 5.3

Need some info guys.
I am going to install a 5.3 in my first gen Blazer (DD)
I want to run a carb.
I am interested in the MSD unit to wire everything up..
Going to run A/C.. Its too damn hot down here in FL to have a DD without it.

My only requirements are:
1) I will run a carburetor
2) I want the wiring simple.. MSD
3) I want A/C

I need to know about Intakes, Headers, Tranny, Electronics, Motor mounts, Dizzy or No Dizzy.. Brackets, Pulleys and anything else you guys can think of..

Educate me please.

Mike

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM
BANNED

01XtremeLT1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 01XtremeLT1

You might be surprized at how simple it is to convert the stock 5.3 wiring harness to a stand alone unit and have everything still work.

If your heart is set on carb talk to Bigdaddydupree. His is a carbed setup in the black 89 s10 he owns.

It's looking like we will have three more LSX converted dimes in our family withing the next 6 months. (2) 97 RCSB one converted from a 4 banger and the other converted from a v6 along with (1) more xtreme blazer but white.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Lifetime Contributing Member

sevenseven is on a distinguished road

The ac can be a big pain on the first gens. The accesories go like this vette, truck, fbody you will need to notch the frame if you stay with the stock truck stuff. It is required to notch the xmember for a truck pan, u can get a muscle car pan..but the clearance is really tight...u can use a fbody pan..again it needs to be notched. The fbody or vette is the good setup or speedway carries a modified brackets. IDk what tranny u are going to run but u might need a adapter for it. I would put a od in it for a dd. Headers from current performance are nice and they have the mounts and radiators..although I thnk their radiators are pricey...gl man!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
BANNED

I have found all the brackets for the relocation of the alternator/ps and the ac compressor that does not require notching the frame for the ac.

http://www.kwikperf.com/

http://www.currentperformance.com/Sw.../AC_Lines.html

Wiring harness - stand alone. How to modify ls emgine harness to stand alone. http://www.lt1swap.com/

Radiator you can still use the 4.3 radiator if you are not racing it. DD status it should be fine.

fans, I use the lt1 fans but you can get intrepid fans or the taurus fans too. there are plenty of tech articles on how to do this.

Headers use the sanderson shorties coated or uncoated. both work fine. heddman makes a long tube now but very pricey since you have to use their install kit that make the total cost around $1k for the mounts, adapter plates, and LT headers.

Depending on the transmission you get, you may need an adapter ring or flywheel. see herron performance Shon can hook you up with whats needs here. He helped us out.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

satterfield8 is on a distinguished road

i seen somewhere where you run a SBF dizzy when running a carb it was on powerblock tv i think under horsepower
89 S-10, 383/th350 AFR 195 heads, eagle crank and rods, Dome 11.5:1 pistons, Howards Soild Ft .543 .562, roller rockers, airgap intake, Holley 750 DP, Mallory ignition, and 3.73 Best is 6.89 @ 98.84 mph and droping
88 S10, 2.5 speed old D/d

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 PM

danman is on a distinguished road

Not sure how much power you want to make and how much you want to spend but here is a link for ya.
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...ew.php?cat=CNC 2 Piece Intake Manifolds&id=373

Also look at the oil pans they have.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 PM

danman is on a distinguished road

here is another link for you. I talked to these people over the phone. very knowledgable.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
BANNED

$1299 - $1499 for an intake
$500 for an oil pan is outrageous.

Current Performance Wiring has the hummer H3 / colorado oil pan that fits the S10 perfectly for $175. This is what we use.

http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html

Wiring harness's custom make to YOUR setup and are plug and play $725 and looks factory for those who do not want to do the research. This will keep it EFI. no cost for a carb, or intake. Keeping it EFI would be the most cost effective way to go along with ease of install.

http://www.currentperformance.com/eng_mgt.html

Jared at Current Performance Wiring has done a lot of research and has parts that work. He is a book of knowledge and excellent to talk to. he will answer any question you have along the way. He is also right outside of Tampa.

I used CPW wiring harness for the LT1 conversion and with the LS, I modified my own harness and all seems to be working flawlessly.

We also use the 4L60E( Non-LS) behind the LS. as with all non LS transmissions, you will need an adapter piece which is available through Herron Performance.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Herron Performance is on a distinguished road

Current Performance FTW!
What ever you think you want from hotrodlane, let me know, that place is too high!!

We are working on WP spacers and pulley relocation brackets so you can use the truck accessories with car intake so you do not have to change all that over.
Reloc brackets are made just got to get one hole threaded properly and the WP spacers are ready to ship. Was going to work on setting up a combo deal. And get some pix up for people know what they are getting.

As for oil pan, pace performance and others sale a 'kit' thats like $150ish, it has what you need, that's cheaper than trying to find the stuff used.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM

NoLoveRacing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NoLoveRacing

MSD setup is the way to go. the dizzy setup doesnt have the benefits of the individual coils. if you dont like the look of the coils, holley is making covers for them kind of a BBC appearance. Either setup is fairly simple for wiring, only problem you will run into is the stock gauges with the LS sensors.

AC is the only issue due to space. hotrodlane.cc is your best choice.

One issue with carb is hood clearance depending on manifold but they are coming out with more and more carb manifolds. crateenginedepot.com has a few gm manifolds for such endeavors at a reasonable price. remember google is your friend to find cheaper prices once you have part numbers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Been researching this subject a lot and can answer almost all the questions you may have. email is noloveracing@yahoo.com for faster response.
"Yea, though I work on a vehicle of high speed and light weight, I will fear no evil, for my rollcage is with me. The main hoop and braces shall protect me. I shall preparest a race car before me. Then, in the presence of mine competitors, I small annoint my head with a helmet. My foes will be runneth over. Surely straight passes and round wins will follow me all my days at the track." - Dave Morgan

Last edited by NoLoveRacing; 09-20-2011 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: more details...